“Since I know you, if your work isn’t published, send me two, and I’ll fully expose myself to your work, and we are now in touch.
If they are published, I’ll buy two.”
The Buffoon Piece, a serious comedy by Bob Jude Ferrante, is now out on Amazon.
(Please do, and support a working artist!)
About: Just before WWII, a family of clowns inhabits a raffish 1930s Italy, performing comedies within tragedies, grasping for survival. When a pair of politicals running from the gestapo crashes into a mad poetry spouting Bozo in the barn, tension spirals in tight swirls of history, love, mystery, doom.
Visit Bob’s author page, with links to five of his comedies — Kindle or paperback — on amazon.com. Fans can read copies of the plays on tablet, phone PC, or good-old books! https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Jude-Ferrante/e/B01MYZAHH2
Composition work started for the [you are here] project today, and went magnificently. After 90 minutes working on creating some moments, using elements we’d established, we fed the operating question
“Are you free?”
You just know by the take on a question with a group that it’s the right one. Once the question landed, there was silence for four beats.
Then we all started listing topics for research; it was clear the question was going to be the beacon, and that this is the right group to be researching this question. The topics from the 12 present showed the intense focus and sharp intelligence of this group.
Hope you’re as excited as we are about where this is headed. Following please find an update on our progress building Sanctuary: NextStage.
- The website is up. Visit it at http://www.sanctuarytheatre.org. Click the link for NextStage to have a look. There you’ll find the Six Tenets, the Vision Plan, info about the planned space we’re securing and renovating, etc.
- Funding has started. We have obtained the initial $3,500.00 of seed funding needed, and are now actively working to raise the rest of what’s needed to secure and renovate the space, operate the company, and manage its world-class training program, and pay for development of our first new project. On the Sanctuary site, you’ll find a Help Make it Real! link for donors. Spread the word, if you care to.
- Please refer us to potential donors. And if you know a potential large donor who loves cutting edge theatre, please don’t hesitate to introduce us. We can offer them the usual tax deduction and other niceties, as well as our undying affection.
We’re close to a hiring decision for a Master Trainer. She will design the training program, making sure it properly integrates all the different disciplines. We’ll send out an announcement when that happens, later this month.
- Please refer us to actors: We plan to announce the initial round of actors for the program near the end of January, and the search is still actively on. We are deliberately creating the company without running a cattle call ad in BackStage! So, if you know any actors of the highest calibre, who might be interested in the program, please feel free to refer them by emailing them about the program (including a link to the site) and CC me at email@example.com; this way we get introduced.
- If you see work in NYC that inspires you, please let us know about it. We’re always learning (and have a lot to learn).
Hope your lives are filled with joy.
These are from the Sunday 2PM matinee on the last day of performance. The performances are mostly solid (though there’s some “rule-breaking” on the Mot Juste piece – an actress making extra sounds). The usual caveats about video’d live performance – though I boosted the sound, it’s slightly blurry at points. And the video can get blocky or fuzzy.
But it’s cool nonetheless. Have a look!