So there I was; had read the script before. It wasn’t perfect, but it took a Robert Frost poem dead serious and was, well, odd. And odd was good. Most definitely.
Re-read the script and did a whole bunch of charts. I knew blocking a show, with little other directorial input, and without those critical one or two weeks taking the script apart together, would be a challenge. But it was going to get done.
Showed up the first night and spent, as I figured, a good 45 minutes on scene 1. A pretty short scene. Adam got nervous about time, but I reassured him if the first scene in this situation took less than two hours, we were in good shape. He was concerned we’d not get through half the script – in his mind beginning of act II – by end of the four-hour BlockFest I. I said, don’t look at it that way, there are 75 pages in the script, 75 minutes onstage. Halfway was really page 35. And that was still in act I. He was reassured.
I had lots of nutty ideas to open the script up. We used commedia characters, we used weird positions onstage, we talked about burying treasure and finding it – to me the heart of comedy. We got to page 35.
It was a getting a play on its feet by the seat of its pants. But it was up, halfway, and it was working.